Thursday, January 15, 2009

beauty and sweaty

I have arrived! And I feel as if there is so much to catch up on and it’s only been 48 hours. If you know me at all, I can promise this will be brief – but it will be a lie. So bear with me, this won’t be coming very frequently; so more, fewer times :)

We flew in to Accra (ah-CRAH) Monday night around 8:00 here time (we’re 6 hours ahead of Iowa) and were greeted at the airport by our ISEP Directors. We were loaded on a bus, transported to the International Student Hostel (ISH), assigned a room, given food, unpacked, introduced to everyone, given a chance to call home and sent to bed. It was as overwhelming as it sounds. And coming off of 31 hours with no sleep, it was kind of a lot to take in. Never in my life did I think I would get as homesick as I felt that night. When I called home I was caught off guard by Rebecca answering the phone – if I could have jumped through the phone to home at that point in time I believe I would have. Suddenly I started thinking how crazy I was; what made me think I could spend 4 ½ months halfway around the world with little to no contact home in this humidity? I realized there was no sense in trying to rationalize anything in that state so I hit the hay, with a rosary in hand. With each Hail Mary I felt myself calming down and my head clearing up – it was amazing.

Tuesday morning was beautiful! I was rested in clean (skeptical about the cold showers…would never dream of taking a hot shower here!) and ready for the day. We got a chance to meet and get to know everyone. We had orientation all day, which really wasn’t bad. We learned a lot of class registration and safety and got a lot of general questions answered. ISEP is providing our meals during orientation and they are DELICIOUS! Jeanna you were right: lots of peppers in Ghanaian food!

All day Tuesday a bunch of us talked about how much we want to travel and what the rest of the semester will be like and it got us all really pumped up and ready to get things going! The country is beautiful, however, while driving around Legon and campus, oddly enough it does not feel like much of a foreign country. Which makes me even more excited to start to explore the country!

love

3 comments:

Greta said...

Glad to hear you had a safe trip! I was at the Capitol this morning and was very sad to not have you there with me! I will send an update soon - Praying for you!

Love you!
Gret

Jeanna Bauer said...

Hello Lovely,

I'm glad you made it safely. Leah was asking about your arrival the other day :)

I have a lot of fun stuff to tell you about my semester already. Except too many e-mails. Hint Hint: I have some accent stories!!

Take a deep breath and start experiencing.
Love You,

Jeanna

Claire said...

Sorry to admit.. I am just starting to read your blog. I forgot it was here until tonight when I talked to Amanda on gchat to see if she knew how you were doing and she mentioned your blog :)

So anyway... it's 10:11pm and I'm planning on sitting in the MU (cause Pi Phi has no internet right now) reading through these cause I miss you and hopefully it'll be like sitting on your futon listening to you tell me about the great adventure youre having. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm done but I just read this one and a couple tears dribbled down my cheek when you said you called home and Rebecca answered the phone...

love you... I'll leave another comment in an hour or so :)