disclaimer #1: Sparse access to internet means lots of details and news left out.
disclaimer #2: This is a mumble-jumble of thoughts and experiences the last few days. emphasis on mumble-jumble.
disclaimer #3: I don't remember what I said in my last blog and need to write quick - who knows how long the internet will last :P
So it hasn't even been a week yet, and it's feels like an eternity! But at the same time I can see mid-May approaching very quickly! We have been busy and running with orientation all week; a very exhausting experience but wonderful because it has kept us occupied. We've been briefed on safety, medicine, registration, religion, politics, the city, tro-tros, taxis, da dee da dee da dee da. You get the idea. All of it through the sticky, scorching heat. I have never been more appreciative of a light breeze.
We were given a tour of campus a couple days ago by our student helpers. It was great to be able to see the whole thing, I had never realized how HUGE it is! Translation: I will get lost the first 2 weeks at least. I am preparing myself to look like a fool with my campus map out and my whiteness being even more ridiculously blatant.
Tro-Tros. Hahahaha. The epitome of chaos. Tro-tros are vans, chuck full of people, going anywhere and everywhere you can possibly imagine. They cost about 20-30 pesewas (less than 20-30 cents) to get wherever you want to go - so very practical. Let me describe the scene. You stand on the side of the road, trying to avoid the extra car that is trying to fit down the lane, and try to decipher what the mate is yelling out the window. Each tro-tro has a driver and a mate. The driver drives (thank goodness) and the mate YELLS out the window where the tro tro is headed. Except it's usually shouted in some abbreviated, auctioneering style slang. So, find you stop, negotiate a price, and cram yourself in somewhere between the mother nursing her child, the boy with the chicken, and the man who is ensuring you that you will be his wife someday. It is just as fun as it sounds.
The tour of our city was wonderful! We had the jolliest little man as our guide; when he smiled his whole face lit up. The dichotomy throughout the city was astounding; extravagant buildings, giant sculptures and fountains, slums, trash, poverty. Some of the major attractions: We visited the museum/mausoleum dedicated to Ghana's first president following the declaration of their independence, Nkrumah. It's ironic because I had always thought of him as a very corrupt person, and he was. But I failed to see all the good he did for the country. They did not however and this park is a testimony to that. The museum holds an assortment of belongings that once belonged to him; furniture, lamps, mirrors, pens, glasses cases, etc. Mom, you better hold on to my mirror because I'm sure someone will want it for a museum someday. The mausoleum was designed by a Ghanaian but built by Chinese. It is structured to look like 4 machetes, pointing downward they symbolize peace. There is a black star on top to represent Africans everywhere. A bronze statue of Nkrumah stands where he delivered the independence address with a gorgeous fountain in front. There are bronze men lining the fountain, blowing horns which traditionally represent the entrance of a king or chief.
( i was cut off while I was typing the last one, so it's been a couple days) but I'll continue and post this one - which will leave you all even more confused than before probably - but bare with me :)
Another girl and I are going to head in to town tomorrow to try to master the tro-tro and road systems. Should definitely be an adventure - especially if you know anything about my sense of direction. Greta, imaine how many times I called you our first week at ISU. Now multiply that by about 10.
I'm headed to a beach party tonight with some of the group, should be beautiful! More on Ghanainas obsession with Obama, Ghana's version of Tacobell, and dusty feet to come soon.
Missing you all a lot and hoping you're staying warm in the deep-freeze i hear hit.
love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jess, Thanks for the vivid detail about the tro-tros. It sounds similar to what we experienced with busses in Honduras - seats for 80, 120 people on board, seats for 20, 35 on board and so on. Even a chicken, but no marriage proposals! Guess I'm getting to old for that!
Keep up the detail so we can see what you describe - beautifully done. Let yourself take it all in. I know you will triumph over any challenges.
Peace!
Hahaha, tro-tros sound amazing! Were you successful in taking a trip on one? I bet before you leave you will drive your own, or else be the crazy woman shouting out the window.
prayers.
Post a Comment