So, a very undetailed recap of my last week.
Monday I scoped out classes with Aubrie, a long and frustrating process. All the available classes are posted in the departments, which are spread out around campus. A person must walk around to each department to check and see what classes are available and if they fit in their schedule. But a catch, a person is also only allowed to take classes from one level (i.e. only 300 level, only 400 level) AND there are certain courses that can not be taken at the same time (i.e. you are not allowed to take French the same semester as Religion). So when you are trying to fit classes in to certain requirements for transfer purposes…not the most ideal situation. However, we pressed on, and I ended up finding a few that sounded fabulous! I ended up with a couple Conflict and Society in Africa type courses, African Myths and Symbols, and a couple social work courses that will be pretty awesome. Along with my Twi (Tshri) class, I’m set!
Tuesday I ditched everything and went to the beach – amazing! While technically, yes, I was skipping class, in reality professors don’t tend to show up the first week or two of classes. Actually a good number of Ghanaian students don’t even move in until a few weeks in to school. So I told myself it was a-okay. The beach was gorgeous when there was no one there! Tuesday night a few of us headed over to Jerry’s, a chill patio bar in East Legon and played cards with some Indian men – good times.
Wednesday: another day of trekking around, this time registering for classes, which requires you to physically go to each department and fill out the same sheet of paper multiple times over. Natalie and I got a little frustrated – we clearly have no idea where to go and what to do and apparently the University of Ghana has a thing against signage, so in most cases we entered rooms looking thoroughly lost and confused. However, most of the office workers, with a few wonderful exceptions, were not very helpful and responded to most of our questions with a mocking giggle and a curt reply. We made it though and even had some time to stop by the ISEP office to check out volunteer opportunities while we’re here. After classes get set next week we’ll start the process of setting those up; I can not wait!
Thursday was an adventure! Max, Aubrie, and I headed in to Accra to explore the city. We took a tro-tro in as far as we could go, and just started walking. And we walked a lot. For the most part I had no idea where I was going, shocking, I know. But Max seemed to have a pretty good sense of direction so we let him lead, albeit occasionally down a dark, smelly corridor or in to a dead end. We stumbled upon an adorable little craft shop that, while a little pricey, had gorgeous paintings by artists from all over Ghana. We promised we’d be back. We also visited the National Museum, National Theater, then headed to Osu for dinner at an over-priced Italian restaurant with some amazing Pasta Carbonara. I also had my first successful bargaining experience; I needed a small backpack for class/hiking and the man was charging 38GHc. I held my ground at 12GHc, and although he told me I would have no friends and I was trying to collapse his business, he eventually gave in and I walked away with a bag with a price tag of 28Ghc for 12. I was pretty proud.
Friday, yet another adventure. A group of us, a rather large group of us, tro-tro’d our way to Aburi for some hiking. We hiked through nearly 9 miles of jungle and forest – exhilarating!! At one point on the trail we stumbled upon a couple Rastafarians, hanging out in the woods. He told us we had come the wrong way but would point us down the right path, only after we listened to his ‘entertainment’ (translation: strumming a guitar and wailing). Nice guys though. However, it turns out the only reason he wouldn’t let us continue on the, apparently correct, path, was that he and his buddy had started a little marijuana business along the road that they didn’t want us to find out about. Baha. Turned out ok though and we eventually made it through. After looping around back to Aburi we strolled through the botanical gardens. I decided my favorite tree is the Traveler’s Tree, originating in Madagascar. (Rebecca and Theresa, we took a picture with it in Reiman Gardens for Rebecca’s birthday). I don’t really know how to describe it, but it’s a giant fan of palm leaves. It gets its name because it collects water at the base of the tree which was ideal for some refreshing water for camels on a long journey. Basically, it’s just sweet.
Currently I am lying in bed doing all I can not to scratch the insane amount of bug bites which have accumulated on my leg. No joke; 7 just between my knee and ankle on one leg. We don’t think they’re mosquito bites though, so for now still clear from Malaria. But none-the-less, really obnoxious not to mention awful looking. We have an International Student Durbar this evening (none of us know quite what this is) followed by a celebration for Emily’s 21st b-day.
Still missing everyone and wishing I could be in at least two places at once.
love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Incredible stuff! Hiking sounds good right now, but we're back to below-zero temps.
prayers.
Hiking sounds fun!
You know what hiking reminds me of? Gorillas.You know what Gorillas remind me of? (Other than ants in our pants) LAND OF A THOUSAND HILLS.
I was looking at my book shelf the other day, you are such a thief!! :) So, although cannot condone activities such as stealing...
I am fully supportive of your trip thus far.
Thinking about you daily.
bug bites - yuck! reminds me - howre the toes!? haha
Post a Comment