This weekend we went to Cape Coast! It was exactly what the doctor prescribed; a trip out of Accra. The drive was fascinating. Constantly something to new to look at or wonder about. 5 bumpy, swerving hours of something new to look at or wonder about.
We started the trip with a tour of Cape Coast Castle. I don’t have all the details of the Castle with me, but it was built by the English I believe sometime during colonization. (Google it). It had various uses throughout its time, the most notable of which is its use as a holding cell for millions of Africans being sold in the slave trade. The castle itself was breathtaking, with a stunning view of the ocean and the fishing boats along the coast. But before I had time to take it in, I caught myself. And it made me sick to my stomach to think that I was enjoying a view from a place where such atrocities took place. We were taken down into both the male and female holding cells. It made my chest tighten. It’s so easy to think of it as a story, but when you are standing in the same place they were kept you realize just how real it was. In the male cell there was a hole in the ceiling they called something like a spybox. The opening of the spy box was right outside of the chapel door that was directly above the male cell. Yes, that means every time they came to worship the Lord they were able to hear the screams and cries of the men below them. And every day they passed it by and called themselves disciples.
Saturday night we stayed at Hans Cottage Botel. A crocodile hotel. The restaurant was right about a pond with crocodiles! We saw a few of them, but none of us were up quite early enough in the morning to catch them relaxing on the shore. But Saturday night we had a blast with the live band, pool table, ping pong table, and the pool! I also met a lady from California who is working for a few months in a little village by Cape Coast with some strategy planning. I love the people you meet here.
Sunday we swung through the branches of the rainforest. Very literally. We visited Kakuum National Park where we went on the canopy walk! We climbed to about 208m. above sea level, then continued on up, where somehow a couple guys strung bridges between the trees. There are 7 bridges all together, connected by tree stands, zig-zagging through the tips of the trees. It was breathtaking! You could see for miles a view that is meant for the birds. And when I say swinging, I really do mean it. The bridges are just boards with netting on the sides (very, very secure though) so they sway with every movement you make. I have some video of it, which doesn’t do it justice at all – but could give you an idea.
We spent the afternoon at a beach resort somewhere along the road to Accra. The waves took my breath away as they crashed on to the shore, and if I wasn’t careful could have taken me along with them too. Allie and I went for a walk along the shore – it was like a story. Then I just sat around reading and eating till it was time to head home. Another unbelievable weekend.
We went to the super bowl on Sunday night – It really is watched around the world. I was cheering for the Steelers so it was a good night for me. Regardless it was fun to see the place packed with Americans, and a few other ex-pats who wanted to see what all the hype was about.
This week is flying by already; meetings with non-profits, classes (that professors come to), pizza nights at Bonjour, adventures to Medina, and our trip to Kumasi on Friday. Updates on all to follow.
Still missing everything everyday – but am also boggled at how you can love very different things very very much, as I am beginning to become so comfortable with being here but also realize how much I miss everyday.
love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Cardinals were so close. They deserved the win.
Amazing trips- I can't wait to see what those bridges look like.
Post a Comment